Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Muzungu! (White Person)





This week has been great so far! The weather is basically the same everyday!  My tan is coming along wonderfully!!  We spent the weekend at Rio Savane, which is a local resort about 40 km from our house.  The beach was amazing!  It was so nice and relaxing and the shrimp was the best!  I actually swam in the Indian Ocean! I didn't have the pleasure of doing this as a missionary, so it's nice being back and being able to experience some of the nicer things I wasn't able to do as a missionary.


Here's a nice usual picture of my happy self! we are in the back of the landcruiser on our way back from the beach!  Luckily, the roads weren't too bad.  I have missed everything about Mozambique, EXCEPT the roads. haha most of the roads here are horrible because the rain season messes them up pretty good.

Look at our friends we found along the way home! A family of monkeys! Everybody used to ask me---what kind of animals did you see in Africa!? Lions? Elephants? etc..... welllll, Mozambique isn't the hotspot for african wildlife, but they DO have monkeys! Although the wildlife is particularily scarce, this place is still my home!

Here's a nice shot of some girls from the Vila Massane village.  They were playing outside during one of the meetings.  Each week they have a community leadership meeting and talk about the goals and achievements of each of the zones.  The goals each family makes are wonderful!  They start with the basics like having a clean and functioning "latrine" or bathroom, sanitizing their water with bleach and later planting gardens and participating in reading and writing classes!


I got a haircut the other day! It was honestly the simplest haircut, but the best haircut ever! I can only remember a few select times that I had a good haircut, and this was one of those times.  I'm also testing out the limits of my facial hair for the first time in my life! Yes, yes I'm sure you are all thinking, you are nasty Kevin! Well, I figure that trying to grow a beard in Africa is the best time! So, who knows maybe ya won't recognize me when I get home! Anyways, the week has gone well and I'm looking forward to our other 4 volunteers that will be arriving this weekend to join Wendy, Karen and I and the rest of the Care For Life team!




2 comments:

  1. Hello muzungu!
    (well, not so much anymore if your tan is getting really good!)
    We are LOVING your updates. I read the whole post to Brenna!
    Your facial hair is gross - good thing you're WAY over there so we can't shave it off you haha!
    The pictures are awesome and we're glad youre having a great time!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented a few days ago but for some reason it did not show up. Keep up the blog. I love to see the pictures and commentary. Love you!

    ReplyDelete